<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Paul Smith Jr has a new home for his blog: www.gazizza.net. Click to go there now!

Thursday, June 01, 2006


What Would the Founders Do?: Our Questions, Their Answers: Books: Richard Brookhiser
Last night (Wednesday), I met up with Anonymous Opinion and Anna Venger to listen to Richard Brookhiser discuss his new book What Would the Founders Do? he explained that the idea for the book came from people he spoke to about the Founders of America, whenever he spoke somewhere people would ask him what the Founding Fathers would think of a current situation and what they would do about it. Eventually he took the hint, and started this book. He also discussed why the Founders are so meaingful to us, among others, we're closer to them than most countries are to their founders. (Brookhiser traced hiumself back to the Founders in five steps. Take that, Kevin Bacon!)

After the brief introduction, he took audience questions where we could ask either the opinion of the Founders in general or a specific Founder. Topics discussed included spearation of church and state, searching Congressional offices, the Supreme Counrts power, national debt, immigration, and a bizarre about the size of the Catholic Church's employment in America. (Anna and AO were looking at me for my reaction during that one.) I was impressed by Brookhiser's ability to answer all those questions immediately and fairly, presenting differeing points of views among the Foudners when they existed. He is a conservative, but he fairly presented the views of those with whom he likely disagreed.

I read his biography of Alexander Hamilton last year and didn't enjoy it all that much, so I didn't have high expectations, but I did buy the book. I started it while waiting for Hube to see X-Men 3. (I headed to the theater straight from work since I probably wouldn't ahve had time to go home first. I read n the lobby while waiting for Hube and Co.) I'm about 30 pages in, and it's mostly setup: why we care about the Founders and why he wrote the book, essentially the beginning of his talk last night. So far, it's an interesting read and I'm looking forward to the meat of the book which should begin next chapter.

Afterwards, Anna, AO and I talked in the Border's cafeteria until they kicked us out. (As Anna said, "What does it say about us that we close down a bookstore?" I wonder about that myself.) I had a good time talking to the ladies and look forward to the next time we get together.

See Anonymous Opinion's review of the night.

Comments:
Hey, you guys are way ahead of me. I was going to wait until I finished the book (about 1/2 way there now).

Had a great time, but it was late for me as well. I hope I made sense when I opened my mouth!

We'll have to get tog. again soon.
 

Post a Comment






Archives
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Favorite Links | Sample Code | Resume | Pictures | Favorite Quotes | Contact | Blog
Copyright © 2004, PaulSmithJr.com