<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Paul Smith Jr has a new home for his blog: www.gazizza.net. Click to go there now!

Friday, March 10, 2006


Rape and Incest Exception on Abortion
Jonah Goldberg is posting comments on whether pro-lifers can take a principled stand to forbid abortions even in the case of incest and rape. (I think they can, as I myself do. The child should not be punished for the circumstance of their conception.) But I found this particular argument in favor of allowing abortion in the case of rape to be disgusting:
You don't want to reward rapists by granting them a child. Yes, it punishes (by killing) innocent children, but we're willing to kill innocent children when we feel it's necessary (example: bombing an enemy stronghold). The bearing of children may be such a strong underlying motive for rape (waay beneath the surface, I realize), that we simply must take this measure to control it.
Ther are other ways to sever ties between a rapist and his child without resorting to murder. This argument, though, in favor of allowing abortions in the case of rape, I do find sympathetic, although it hasn't convinced for the reason I stated above:
A rape exception makes sense because it is the only circumstance in which a woman has not chosen to risk becoming pregnant.

In my opinion, when a man and woman have a sexual relationship, they are (among other things) taking certain risks. She is risking bearing a child, and he is risking paying child support. Rape takes away her choice.
Again, a child should not be killed as a result of the circumstances that led to his life. As an example of why:
I'm glad to see somebody point out an obvious doublestandard when it comes to being prolife. My 14 year old daughter is the result of a rape when her biological mother was 15. We adopted her at birth and she has turned into a terrific kid in every way and I cannot imagine the world would be a better place without her.

Comments: Post a Comment






Archives
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Favorite Links | Sample Code | Resume | Pictures | Favorite Quotes | Contact | Blog
Copyright © 2004, PaulSmithJr.com