<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Paul Smith Jr has a new home for his blog: www.gazizza.net. Click to go there now!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006


Lyn Nofziger
He died last night.
Franklyn "Lyn" Nofziger, the rumpled and irreverent conservative who served Ronald Reagan as press secretary and political adviser, died of cancer Monday. He was 81.
...
"I'm not a social friend of the Reagans," he told an interviewer. "That's by their choice and by mine. They don't drink enough."
Some quotes by him listed on The Corner:
I am a Republican because I believe that freedom is more important than government-provided security. Sometimes I wish I were a Democrat because Democrats seem to have more fun. At other times I wish I were a Libertarian because Republicans are too much like Democrats. What I actually am is a right-wing independent who is registered Republican because there isn't any place else to go.


I keep thinking about the liberal effort to canonize Sandra Day O'Connor as one of the Supreme Court greats. What a joke. She was appointed by President Reagan at the urging of Barry Goldwater as a political sop to feminists. She was not a great legal mind and was not one of Reagan’s better appointments, mainly because she was ruled by her emotions rather than by logic or any particular knowledge of the Constitution. The best thing she has done is resign. For this she deserves our praise.
Mark Krikorian writes:
I only met him a couple times, but his contrariness appealed to me (in addition to the fact that he was an immigration restrictionist!). One sign of that was some concoction he drank -- whiskey and milk, if you can believe it. The bartenders didn't know what he was talking about when he asked for it (I forget the name), so he'd order a shot and a glass of milk and mix them. It turned my stomach, but any guy who'd order something like that had to be okay.
May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Comments: Post a Comment






Archives
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Favorite Links | Sample Code | Resume | Pictures | Favorite Quotes | Contact | Blog
Copyright © 2004, PaulSmithJr.com